[Kea-users] Host Reservations stored in DB

Fletcher Haynes fhaynes at willamette.edu
Tue Apr 7 19:02:23 UTC 2015

> One question which remains open is whether there is a demand for Kea to
> ship with the management tool to add/remove/modify reservations in the
> database. I'd assume that many users would implement their own management
> tools but probably many of them wouldn't. Would you?

We have our own management system that inserts them directly into the
database, and we would continue to use that, if possible.

I've been working my way through the HR design document, hopefully I'll
have some useful feedback when I am done.

Thanks!

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Marcin Siodelski <marcin at isc.org> wrote:

> On 07.04.2015 08:08, Bryan Seitz wrote:
>

>> > On Apr 6, 2015, at 5:40 PM, Fletcher Haynes <fhaynes at willamette.edu>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > We have a large environment (thousands of hosts) where most hosts
>> need a static reservation. For the past 10+ years, we have been using
>> a custom DHCP server written in Perl that did all of its lookups for
>> host reservations in a postgres db. Recently, we have migrated to
>> bind9, and are approximating this with regular generation of conf
>> files from the database and OMAPI. This works ok, but we would like to
>> have a DHCP server with better support for this.
>> >
>> >  From what I can tell, Kea will have functionality for storing host
>> reservations in a MySQL or Postgres backend, and it is currently
>> slated for the 1.1 release? Could you use help with implementing this
>> feature, or testing it when it is ready?
>> >

>> +1 On this comment.  Seems like having an SQL backed DHCP server,
>> being able to store host reservations in the DB would be a primary
>> feature.
>> Also happy to assist / help test etc.
>>

> We are planning on implementing this feature and it is currently scheduled
> for 1.1 release. We had to defer it due to time constraints but it is
> definitely something that has high priority on our roadmap as many users
> seem to desire this functionality.
>
> As of Kea 0.9.1 you can store host reservations in the Kea configuration
> file and they are held in memory. Some advantage of this approach is that
> the reservation lookup is very fast, as opposed to the lookup in the SQL
> database which requires inter process communication. However, we're aware
> that large deployments often tend to use external databases for various
> reasons.
>
> One question which remains open is whether there is a demand for Kea to
> ship with the management tool to add/remove/modify reservations in the
> database. I'd assume that many users would implement their own management
> tools but probably many of them wouldn't. Would you?
>
> Not sure if you had a chance to review the design for the host
> reservations. It includes the bits about storing reservations in the SQL
> database:
>
> http://kea.isc.org/wiki/HostReservationDesign
>
> All comments welcome.
>
> Thanks for the offer for testing this feature. Stay tuned.
>
> Marcin

Fletcher Haynes <fhaynes at willamette.edu>
Systems Administrator/Network Services Consultant
Willamette Integrated Technology Services
Willamette University, Salem, OR
Phone: 503.370.6016