[Kea-users] What is Kea ?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Oct 23 15:47:26 UTC 2014

On 23.10.2014 17:05, Chaigneau, Nicolas wrote:
> I mean, where does the name come from, what does it stand for ?
It's a nickname I gave this project. Kea is a high mountain parrot that
lives in New Zealand.

Personally, I love travelling and I'm fond of nature. I think that
naming software after animals is much better than coming up with
meaningless acronyms. My other project, Dibbler, took its name from a
small marsupial that lives in Australia. Yet another one of my projects
was called Numbat, after small anteater living in Australia. Yes, I do
like Australia and New Zealand a lot :)

Initially, Kea was an internal name we used for the project, because
speaking out loud bind10 dhcp is mouthful. I did a presentation once and
repeating that name 10 times in front of full audience was awkward.

Once BIND10 was cancelled, we needed a new name and Kea was an obvious
choice.

Actually, the name was not chosen randomly. I was looking for something
that was short, easy to type, disambiguous, not similar to any existing
software, phonetically easy to pronounce, easy to remember, and not
copyrightable.

You may have noticed that bind10 logo was a parrot called Bundy. So I
was looking up for a name or mascot that would be a good fit. Funny
fact: the other proposed name for this project was galah, a small rose
parrot from Australia. The name lost because Stephen discovered that in
australian slang 'galah' is a common term for an idiot that speaks too
much :) So we settled with kea.

Tomek
p.s.

That's what Kea looks like: http://goo.gl/26ETve. One day we'll think
about a logo for this project. I'm sure there will be a parrot in it.