isc-dhcpd project fork

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Mon Nov 6 13:45:19 UTC 2023

> On Nov 5, 2023, at 12:28 PM, Mike <the.lists at mgm51.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/3/2023 11:38 AM, Victoria Risk wrote:
>>

>> There was one person who indicated they might want to
>> maintain the client, as part of a team, if we could find others to help,
>> but nothing that rose to the level of a viable committment.
>
> Are there any plans for a replacement dhcp-client project like what
> happened with the excellent kea project on the dhcp-server side of things?

There are no plans at the moment.  We would love to create a client if we could find a funding stream to sustain such an effort. Over the ten years I have been at ISC, we never got a dollar in funding or contributions towards maintaining the client, and also got relatively little user feedback. As a result it was not very actively maintained. We thought, in fact, that most of the users of the client (primarily operating system developers) had forked it and were maintaining it on their own by the time we EOL’d it.

I did approach a few potential funders a while ago, and there wasn’t any interest, but if there is anyone out there who wants to kickstart the funding, I would be happy to try again. I would think we would need to fund at least one developer full time to write it, and thereafter have some funding for both on-going testing and maintenance. I also haven’t looked recently to see if what other DHCP clients are available and still being maintained, like the one in BusyBox. If anyone on the list is aware of other clients, please post and let everyone know.

Vicky