Can you use DHCP to assign an address to the downstream interface used by dhcrelay?

Vallevand, Mark K Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com
Thu Nov 2 17:13:33 UTC 2023

Hello DHCP users.

Using Ubuntu 22.04.
I have configured dhcrelay upstream and downstream interfaces and a server address.
DHCP addresses are correctly relayed from machines on the downstream side to the upstream side and back.
Rather than using a static address in the downstream interface, I would like to assign a DHCP address using dhclient to the downstream interface.
Dhcrelay does not seem to handle this case.  If the origin of the request is the actual downstream interface, it is not relayed.
Is this possible?  Can I use dhclient to get an address for the downstream interface used by dhcrelay?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards.

Mark K Vallevand
Unisys 651-635-7708 | mark.vallevand at unisys.com<mailto:mark.vallevand at unisys.com>