Problem in receiving vendor-encapsulated-options, other standard options are received

rajeev Gaur rajeev11gaur at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:44:44 UTC 2022

Hello All

I am facing a situation here regarding receiving
vendor-encapsulated-options at client end.

Client: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.5

Server: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.5

OS: CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core) (Same at client and server systems)

Server Side config: /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

#

# DHCP Server Configuration file.

#   see /usr/share/doc/dhcp*/dhcpd.conf.sample

#

authoritative;

option space MAGNUM-CL-INFO code width 1 length width 1 hash size 7;

option MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-ip code 1 = ip-address;

option MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-port code 9 = unsigned integer 16;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

       range 192.168.1.171 192.168.1.180;

       option routers                   192.168.1.156;

       option subnet-mask               255.255.255.0;

       option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8;

       default-lease-time 100;

       max-lease-time 100;

       option host-name "server-77";

       option ntp-servers 10.23.45.11;

       option vendor-class-identifier "MAGNUM-CL-VCI";

        vendor-option-space MAGNUM-CL-INFO;

         option MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-ip 192.168.122.150;

         option MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-port 31080;

}

Client side config: /etc/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.conf

send host-name = gethostname();

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,

domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name

dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search,

netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu, ntp-servers;

ifdown eth0;

ifup eth0;

Steps followed:

   1. Started DHCP Server and I can see, server listening on interface with
   subnet 192.168.1.0.
   2. Started the client with following command:

[/sbin/dhclient -H localhost -1 -q -lf
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient—eth0.lease -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid eth0]

I understand this is long command and all the parameters are not required,
but to give our own pid and lease find we are giving it like this.

   1. On execution of command I can see DISCOVER reaching the server and
   server responding with OFFER, then REQUEST and ACK.
   2. I can see the lease file getting generated at this path:
   [/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-<UUID>-eth0.lease]. The lease file looks like
   this:

lease {

  interface "eth0";

  fixed-address 192.168.1.171;

  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

  option routers 192.168.1.156;

  option dhcp-lease-time 100;

  option dhcp-message-type 5;

  option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8;

  option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.1.156;

  option ntp-servers 10.23.45.11;

  option host-name "server-77";

  renew 5 2022/11/04 09:08:33;

  rebind 5 2022/11/04 09:09:20;

  expire 5 2022/11/04 09:09:33;

}

Problem:

I am not getting the vender encapsulated options, the hex TLV for options
MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-ip and MAGNUM-CL-INFO.client-port in lease file.
There are other vendor options also but just showing two items as example
config. Also, importantly, I have similar setups running at two other
clients and that is running fine with all the steps informed above. But
somehow, it is not working on this one.

One more point, if I add vendor-class-identifier in client conf, I receive
it in lease file, but I am not receiving vendor encapsulated options.

Please suggest where am I going wrong.

Thanks

Rjv