extremely slow DHCPD startup time

Shane Merritt smerritt at ua.edu
Thu Aug 4 19:01:23 UTC 2022

I have a failover pair of DHCP servers running 4.4.2-P1 that handle a DHCP for a very large wireless network (>75k devices active at any time). The leases file on these boxes is around 200 megabytes.  The problem I am having is when I need to make a change and restart, DHCPD takes over 25 minutes to start giving out addresses.  I assume this is due to the large lease file.  I see that there are tons of leases in the file that are “binding state free” that in some cases are months old.  Are there any suggestions to improve this situation?

Shane Merritt
Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama
smerritt at ua.edu