Some devices randomly losing their IPv4 address

Julien Pierre goldberg.variations at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 00:57:49 UTC 2022

Ken,

Thanks. I'd prefer to work with hardware I already own, which is a lot. I
have many spare USB gigabit NICs, and several 2.5g USB NICs.
I also have several spare Aquantia 2.5/5/10g PCI-E NICs also, but those
require x4 slots, and I would need two PCIe slots. Drivers are open-source.
Not sure if anyone has tried those on ARM systems before.

Anyway, for now, I just tried IPFire without any additional networking
hardware besides the USB cable to the KVM, and HDMI display, and it won't
even boot on my Pi4B. Looks like a lot of users are running into the same
MMC SD card error.
https://community.ipfire.org/t/ipfire-on-raspberry-rpi4-b/6118/19
It appears that I need a different router distribution.

OpenWRT comes up in Google searches. I don't want/need the wireless part.
Not sure if it can handle just multiple wired NICs and leave the wireless
part off. Time to download, flash it and find out.

Julien