DDNS updates for zone having multiple primary servers

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 31 08:07:02 UTC 2021

Hi Kraishak

My understanding from a long time ago (as in >5 years) was that that
dynamic dns updates are only sent to the primary DNS server. The primary
is expected to forward to all the secondaries.

I think DHCP sends an update to the secondary only when the primary is
not contactable, and the secondary is expected to forward the update to
the primary when it comes back online. Either way the DHCP server does
not directly update any secondaries, that is the job of the primary.

So the bottom line is that it probably doesn't matter if you only list
one secondary.

regards,
Glenn