reports failed but works

Yuma Technical Inc. yumatechnical at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 16:56:40 UTC 2021

I am running a PXE service on buster.
On a client it searches for a DHCP server, for about a minute.  Meanwhile on the server "sudo systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service” reports …Active: failed (Result: exit-code)… .  Then I issue “sudo systemctl restart isc-dhcp-server.service” - reply:”Job for isc-dhcp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.…”.
However back on the client, I restart and again it searches for a DHCP server.  In a second or two it is assigned an IP …
On the server, “sudo systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service” tells me the PID. “journalctl _PID=1234” gives all the messages “… DHCPINFORM from x.y.z.xx via wlan0” and “… DHCPACK to x.y.z.xx (a:b:c:d:e:f) via wlan0” - over and over.
Why does it report failed (with non-error responses) when it works?