Option 82 problem

Александр Сандецкий alexander.sandetsky at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 05:33:30 UTC 2020

Basic network services topology assumes that DHCP server exist in every
network segment. In every VLAN in my case. It can be separate servers in
network segments or single server with network interfaces gor every
network. Or every VLAN configured on the server. This is a simple and clear
idea. But in some cases it's not good (need to configure lot of vlans for
ex.). But DHCP service offers the relaying technology. With combination of
Option 82 it's common practice to setup single server with single network
interface for DHCP. Option 82 can be used to classify clients by the switch
(agent IP or MAC), by the switch port, by the vlan, etc.

Relaying assumes the dhcp query comes not from original device and original
network segment but from some managed switch where client connected. With
some additional information for identifying client and swithc.

My idea is to not to configure every vlan on the server.