DHCP Lease testing

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon Sep 2 23:45:21 UTC 2019

29.08.2019 16:35, Surya Teja wrote:

> I am trying to test the lease flow of ISC DHCP server configured on my local network setup, I have used the dhtest tool
> Ref Link: https://github.com/saravana815/dhtest
> In this it says we can test lease by running the command
> *./dhtest  **-m e4:b2:fb:d5:32:53* *-i eth0 -S 192.168.0.55 -V*
> It worked (for the specified mac it gave lease) but I want to test the flow with options.
> DHCP client asking for the specific options like 2,3,6,9.
> But dhtest tool does not have an option to specify the options,
> Do we have any other tool to test the ISC DHCP server with virtual clients asking the specified options or any reference links.
>  Any help can be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Well-known dhclient utility allows you to add arbitrary set of DHCP options
sent to the server and not to assign obtained lease to an interface if you don't want it.

Make sure you read dhclient.conf(5), dhcp-options(5) and dhclient-script(8) manual pages
bundled with dhclient package. The dhclient-script(8) page documents dhclient-enter-hooks script
you may create and use to override default contents of shell functions like add_new_address()
that do real job adding IP to the interface.