[EXT] Re: dhcp-users Digest, Vol 133, Issue 6

Andrew Bell andrew at poscomp.ca
Mon Nov 11 21:26:26 UTC 2019

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:29:47AM -0500, Andrew Bell wrote:
> > What kind of wifi controller are you using that can handle 65000+ users
> on
> > a single subnet?!
>
> Many kinds.  Wi-Fi is generally handled as one flat subnet on an entire
> campus/site with broadcast/multicast suppression so that you don't have
> roaming problems which would happen if you need to roam to a new subnet.

Actually, I've been using pooled /20 subnets for years, which was
considered best practice for campus networks at the time it was
implemented. Roaming to a new subnet never happens.

This made me go look up the current best practices though, and it appears
that the pooled model is being deprecated in favour of bigger subnets. Good
to know.