dhclient and custom Linux routing tables (VRF)

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste.fr
Fri Jun 7 11:23:29 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I am trying to use the ISC dhclient with Linux VRFs, where each VRF is
assigned a custom Linux routing table. Typically, like this:

# ip link add vrf1 type vrf table 10
# ip link set eth0 master vrf1
# ip link set vrf1 up
# dhclient eth0

Unfortunately, dhclient populates the default Linux routing table with
the default gateway it receives, instead of adding it to the VRF's
routing table:

# ip route show
default via 10.0.2.2 dev eth0

# ip route show table 10
10.0.2.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.2.15
local 10.0.2.15 dev eth0 proto kernel scope host src 10.0.2.15

I have read dhclient's documentation, and did not find any mention of
either VRFs or custom routing tables... Have I missed some obvious trick
here?

Mateusz