DHCP lease logging between peers

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 10:41:40 UTC 2019

Nate Collins <ncollins at xes-inc.com> wrote:

>> Since both servers have a copy of the lease, I guess both are replying - I don't know if that's correct behaviour as I'm not familiar enough with failover.
>
> I agree definitely that this is what it looks like, but from what I understand, the `split 128;` should evenly load balance the client between the two servers, and ultimately only one would reply ...

I think there's more to it than that.
When a client does a DHCP-Discover, then the split statement does affect how the servers respond. But if the client does a DHCP-Request (broadcast) for a specific address, then both servers are in a position to respond if it matches an existing lease. As I said, I'm not really familiar with failover so I can't really say if both respond "because they both can" or whether only the master for that lease should respond.