problem with configuring dhcpd for "unknown" networks

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 21:47:10 UTC 2019

Boris Behrens <bb at kervyn.de> wrote:

> I thought we could just use the dhcpd like a webserver which just serves answers.

You can - provided you have a relay agent on the client network.

The server must have an IP address in it's own network(s), and there must be IP routing between client networks and server, and you need a subnet declaration for each served network.
There is no requirement for teh DHCP server to have an interface in every network it serves.