To have various IP ranges in the same subnet and assign the IP Address depending of the device type that sends the request.

Juan Antonio García Moreno jagarcia at emergya.com
Thu Aug 1 07:05:54 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I have read a lot of information on Internet but I haven't this too clear
and I would like ask you if this can do or not.

This is the situation:

- I have a network wired and WIFI.
- I have the ISC DHCP Server that assign IP address statically with
"fixed-address" and dinamically from a pool address with "range".

I would know if I can to have, for example, 3 ranges and assign the IP
Address depending of the device type that request the IP.

For example:

- Static IP to devices that I want by MAC.
- POOL1 to LAPTOP.
- POOL2 to Smartphones.
- POOL3 to Tablets or Watches.

How could I discriminate the request and assign the IP from POOL1, POOL2 or
POOL3 depending if the device is a LAPTOP, a Smartphone or a Tablet?

Can I do this?

What would be the best way to do it?

Does anyone have, and can show me, some examples?

Best regards,

Juan García