dhcp failover question

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 21:40:52 UTC 2018

Rob Moser <Rob.Moser at nau.edu> wrote:

>>> -          Can I setup them behind LB?
>
>> No. You cannot load balance requests, because it would mean clients randomly contacting a server that knew nothing about it's lease.
>
> Well to be fair, most modern load-balancers will have some method of sending the same client persistently to the same back-end server.  But how to achieve that would be a question for the folks who built/run your load-balancer; dhcpd doesn't have anything to do with it.

But what happens if a server goes down ? Presumably the LB will re-route requests to a different server - which of course will have no knowledge of what the others servers have been doing.

So you either have to have non-overlapping ranges across the servers - in other words, the same as just running multiple independent servers and the LB does nothing useful for you.
Or the servers have to have knowledge of what the other servers have been doing - in other words, like running failover.