ddns-fwd-name using the wrong name

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 22:46:38 UTC 2018

Rob Moser <Rob.Moser at nau.edu> wrote:

> In most cases our DDNS setup works fine, but an issue has come up where for some of our hosts the DHCP server seems to pick the wrong ddns-fwd-name to send in the updates to DNS. How does dhcpd determine what name to use?
> Any ideas where dhcpd might be getting this old out-of-date value for ddns-fwd-name? Thanks for any help,

My guess is that it's persisting with the one in the leases file rather than re-evaluating the value every time it deals with the client.
Simple test for that is to configure a client, change it's hostname, see if it does the same - then stop the DHCP server and delete the ddns-forward-hostname entry in it's lease (only the last entry in the file matters) before restarting the DHCP server.