DHCP failover doesn't receive DHCP requests in secondary server

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Thu Aug 16 19:21:05 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM Anders Löwinger <anders at abundo.se> wrote:

> On 8/16/18 4:33 PM, perl-list wrote:
> > This has been there for a long time.  Its just the same-ole split
> value.  Affects how the load balancing algorithm is applied.  From man page:
>

> Ok, I thougth something was changed.
>

> We have tried running with "split 255;" for a couple of hours (lease
> time 30 min) but saw no real difference on the load between the two dhcp
> servers....
>

> /Anders

"split" only affects which server responds *first* to *new* clients.  It
has no effect when a client renews - they just unicast directly to the
server that gave them their lease.  You would have to have a large turnover
of clients, or have one server down for a while, to see the effect.

--
Bob Harold