DHCP Failover - initial Configuration

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:18:10 UTC 2018

Philippe Maechler <plcmaechler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. I was told that the lease-time is internaly handled as an integer in hours and therefor would require significant changes in the system. I could never really understand that because when the lease-time is in hours, how does the system detects if the lease ends yet or in 10 minutes...
> But yes, a fix was declined or better "not possible in the near future"... that was two years ago :(

That comes from the WTF! department

> We once had a broken client who refused the lease offered. The client did the DORA sequence, declined the lease and startet again with a DORA sequence and so on.

Yes, there are some "interesting" clients. Many years ago with a different hat on, I had a printer RIP that refused to accept a lease. Long after I'd manually configured it I found out that it would only accept a lease for at least 2 years ! Some choice language was uttered at that as well.