How to sync a Linux secondary DHCP server?

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Wed Aug 1 14:42:49 UTC 2018

When you bring the failover peer back into the loop after a partner down, it will take awhile before the returning peer starts to respond to DHCP packets but that doesn't stop the existing peer that never left from still answering.

Basically, there wouldn't be an outage but it would be some period of time (MCLT) until the returning peer begins to answer.

Don't set MCLT low, however, set it to at least 3600 as if the primary goes away, the secondary will only issue new leases and renew existing ones for the length of MCLT. I usually set MCLT to the length of the lease i have set (usually I do 8 hours).