inconsistent ddns behaviour

Rick Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:44:13 UTC 2017

Removing option domain-name "dhcp.ldev"; from the subnet declaration
stopped ddns updates for this subnet.

Are directives in each subnet declaration global in effect, or particular
only to the subnet declaration? My expectation was they'd only apply to
that subnet declaration, so I'm unclear.

Thanks for your responses.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Glenn Satchell <glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au>
wrote:

> ddns-update-style none; turns ddns updates off globally, probably not what
> you want. ddns-update-style is a global setting, so you can't do different
> styles for different hosts or subnets.
>
> You can add ddns-updates off; in a subnet to disable ddns for that subnet.
>
> See dhcpd.conf man page for details.
>
> regards,
> -glenn
>
> On Mon, March 27, 2017 5:56 pm, Simon Hobson wrote:
> > Rick Dicaire <kritek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There is no zone directive in the subnet declaration. Why are ddns
> >> updates being sent for that subnet?
> >
> > Did you read what I wrote - a zone declaration is NOT required other than
> > to specify the key to be used :

> >> Yes.
> >> The default is to lookup the SOA record for the appropriate zones to
> >> find the master DNS server, and send updates (unsigned) to that. Thus
> >> with a correctly configured DNS, updates will be generated automagically
> >> without any admin intervention.
> >> However, using unsigned updates is considered insecure - and so you
> >> should be specifying DNS zones - not to indicate the master DNS, but to
> >> specify the signing key.
> >
> > If you want no DDNS updates then you have to specify that you don't want
> > them, with (IIRC) a ddns-update-<something> declaration (either globally
> > or in a particular subnet).

aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com
http://www.ardynet.com:9000/ardymusic.ogg.m3u