long expired DHCPD leases still in dhcpd.leases file

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Dec 15 09:25:04 UTC 2017

The dhcp RFCs state that a DHCP server must try hard to return the IP
address a client previously used. So when the leases file is periodically
re-written the newest lease for each IP address is retained.

If required, the DHCP server will hand those IPs out to a new client if
there are no other free leases available.

All it indicates is that you have enough free IP addresses in the dynamic
ranges so the server has not needed to use those old ones.

I guess you could clean them out if you knew (or didn't care) if that
client was coming back. In that case, stop the dhcp server, modify the
leases file, then start it up again. I imagine you would want a script to
do the editting quickly.

regards,
-glenn