[Already SOLVED] Precious leases?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Sun Dec 10 12:08:42 UTC 2017

Hello,

This message deals with NO PROBLEM, nothing wrong, nor issue to solve.

It is just a discussion about something I don't get.
I'm using DHCP since more than a decade in very complex failover setups,
I'm using numerous script-generated hundreds of page dhcpd.conf servers
amongst hundreds of synced sites.
All this is working flawlessly.

Though, I've never understood in what cases it should be important to
keep safely the dhcp lease files. I mean, for dynamic leases hosts, they
just will have to issue new queries - this won't load the servers as all
those hosts lease time has been randomly spread in date and time, so
their queries won't burst all in the same time.
And for the fixed lease, there is neither a hurry to get a reply because
if the dhcp infrastructure replies lately, the dhcp implementation
allows late query retries in time.

So, I don't see anything horrible happening if I loose all my leases
files and restart my servers...?

--
Nicolas ECARNOT