A Question on Dynamic DHCP/DNS IP Lease Renew

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 07:09:53 UTC 2016

Glenn Satchell <glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au> wrote:

> As an alternative you can just set a really long lease time, like a year
> or two.

But bear in mind that some systems explicitly release their leases on shutdown. So does that negate the long lease when it comes to the "least recently used" calculation ?

As an aside ...
I once had a printer (early generation of connected digital copiers) that just would not accept a lease via DHCP. I gave up in the end and manually configured it. Some time later I found that it had a requirement that any lease offered must be a minimum of 2 years. That was a WTF moment, and I had some questions about the parentage of the devs that came up with that requirement !