isc dhclient not appling alias to interface

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Sep 22 07:25:49 UTC 2016

> > But this is not happening.  I can find no guidance on what I am doing wrong, and
> > why the isc-dhcp-client is not assigning the alias.
>
> FWIW, I agree with your interpretation of the man page - but it's not a feature I've ever tried to use.

Moderately related followup on this: In connection with lab testing of
"ignore-client-uids" on FreeBSD 10.3, I used the standard FreeBSD client
(based on the OpenBSD client) to manually generate DHCP requests with
many different client UIDs.

Without the "ignore-client-uids" option on the server, I get a different
IP address from the DHCP server for each client UID (as expected), *and*
each of these IP addresses are assigned as an alias on the interface.

The end result is an interface with as many IP addresses as I have sent
DHCP queries with different client UIDs.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no