OMAPI host retention problem

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Tue Oct 4 17:00:23 UTC 2016

Folks,

I am currently developing a feature of our DHCP management software to add hosts to our failover peer DHCP servers (version 4.3.3) via OMAPI. An example set of commands is shown here:

/usr/bin/omshell << EOF
server 10.0.0.1
port 51337
connect
new host
set name = "3112"
set hardware-address = 00:01:02:03:04:05
set hardware-type = 1
create
EOF

/usr/bin/omshell << EOF
server 10.0.0.2
port 51337
connect
new host
set name = "3112"
set hardware-address = 00:01:02:03:04:05
set hardware-type = 1
create
EOF

The problem I'm having is that a small number of the hosts seem to disappear over some unknown length of time (perhaps when large numbers of other hosts are added).

It seemed to work fine when only using a small handful of hosts (8). Once I started experimenting with real world numbers of hosts (~15,000 hosts), then some of the existing hosts began to disappear. There was no OMAPI command sent to remove them or anything. They just suddenly weren't there in the dhcpd.leases file and could no longer get an address (allow known clients).

Any idea how I should proceed with troubleshooting this? Do OMAPI added hosts support large numbers? Is there some speed limit to adding hosts that I should observe to avoid problems?

The purpose of this work is to avoid the need to restart the DHCP server when adding or removing the host like is necessary when using the host {} statement in the config file.