Problem to set up DHCP for ipv6 - subnet_number():inet.c:45: Addr/mask length mismatch

Reed Xia huaqin2005 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:59:35 UTC 2016

Hi Simon,

At very beginning, I put the dhcp-4.3.4.tar.gz file in /root and installed
it as README file said(./configure -> make -> make install), and I launched
the service by "/root/dhcp-4.3.4/server/dhcpd", I guess I might not install
dhcp well.(sorry I just started to use dhcpd a few day ago)

May I ask, as you said, I guess I shall launch the service by "service
isc-dhcp-server start"?

I just tired it in my terminal, but it failed "isc-dhcp-server:
unrecognized service".

And I can run "dhcpd", it will output logs as ones as I launched dhcpd for
ipv4.

Thanks for your time!!

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> Reed Xia <huaqin2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > root at johw-Lenovo:/etc# /root/dhcp-4.3.4/server/dhcpd -cf dhcpd.conf
> eth0 start
> > No subnet declaration for start (no IPv4 addresses).
>
> Can't help with the query itself, but you are starting the server
> incorrectly. "start" would be a command for your service management/init
> system - eg "service isc-dhcp-server [ start | stop ]". When starting the
> server directly as you are doing, omit the start - just executing it
> implies start !
> As it is, dhcpd is trying to interpret start as the name of an interface,
> hence the error it's spitting out.
>
> It's possible that this is the cause of your main issue - I've no idea on
> that but it's worth eliminating the "start" error first.
>
> BTW - in general it's best to use the scripts to start the service. While
> manually starting it is easy for testing, it may not result in the same
> environment as when using the scripts - which can result in you getting
> something working, only for it to fail to start/work properly at boot time.

Thanks,
- Reed