DHCP option host-name matching

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Mar 14 02:24:35 UTC 2016

Regex matching has been a part of the syntax for many years. See dhcp-eval
man page on your system.

     data-expression-1 ~= data-expression-2 data-expression-1  ~~
     data-expression-2

       The ~= and ~~ operators (not  available  on  all  systems)
       perform  extended  regex(7)  matching of the values of two
       data  expressions,  returning  true  if  data-expression-1
       matches  against the regular expression evaluated by data-
       expression-2, or false if it does not match or  encounters
       some  error.   If  either the left-hand side or the right-
       hand side are null or empty strings, the  result  is  also
       false.   The  ~~  operator differs from the ~= operator in
       that it is case-insensitive.

So you'll want something like this, but it's not foolproof either as the
user could name the system anything they like.

class "IPHONE_ACCORDING_TO_HOSTNAME" {
   match if option host-name ~= "iPhone";
}

regards,
-glenn

On Sat, March 12, 2016 9:06 am, Bradford Dickerson wrote:
> Thanks Jose for pointer to list. I could use that to identify Apple
> clients. To narrow it down to various apple types such as iphones, ipads
> vs mac computers dont think it will help.
>
>> On Mar 11, 2016, at 4:44 PM, José Queiroz <zekkerj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have you seen this?
>> https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=manuf
>> <https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=manuf>
>>
>> PS: Sorry the [possible] double posting, for some reason my messages
>> aren't being received by the list.

>> <mailto:bra00424 at mac.com>>:
>> Hi Jose,
>>     Thanks for replying. Was looking into that but was unsuccessful (
>> searching on the web ) finding a list(range) of OUIs that Apple used
>> specifically for their iphones. Thx, Brad
>>
>>> On Mar 11, 2016, at 3:43 PM, José Queiroz <zekkerj at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:zekkerj at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bradford,
>>>
>>> It will be much easier if you use MAC Addresses to do that. That way
>>> you may use the MAC's OUI to determine the device's branding.

>>> <mailto:bra00424 at mac.com>>:
>>> Hi,
>>>   At our company, we are trying to hand out IP ranges based on the
>>> characteristics of the client. For example using a class declaration
>>> as follows:
>>>
>>> class "IPHONE_ACCORDING_TO_HOSTNAME" {
>>>   match if substring(option host-name,0,6) = "iPhone";
>>> }
>>>
>>> but I notice many iphones have names like ‘Brad-iPhone’ or
>>> ’TomIphone’ does not quite match above . Is there any plan to
>>> support regex type matches?
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>> Brad