Static leases

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 21:56:47 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,

> An automatic lease comes from an assigned range of addresses on a subnet
> after matching either the defined host statement to the client
> identifier or the hardware address. It's granted an infinite lease.

I'm not sure about the phrase 'automatic lease' - are you referring to
reserved leases through enabling the infinite-is-reserved configuration
option?

> A Static lease is granted from an assigned address to client identifier
> or hardware address relationship. This is also granted an indefinite
> lease time.
>
> Are the above statements correct?
>
> Does the logic for a ping check get executed when processing requests
> for either of these lease types?

 From a quick skim of server/dhcp.c (looking just above the call to
'icmp_echorequest'), it looks like pings are not sent for a static lease
(presumably because the server can't do anything in response - for
dynamic pools it can try allocating a different address).

Graham