Multiple chrooted dhcp servers for vlans on Linux?

stevel_isc at jbco.com stevel_isc at jbco.com
Fri Feb 26 21:55:11 UTC 2016

Ok, another idea.  What about each of the servers using a different port and
using iptables for redirecting?

For example:
  dhcp server for eth0.2 listening on 672
  dhcp server for eth0.3 listening on 673
  dhcp server for eth0.4 listening on 674
  dhcp server for eth0.5 listening on 675

Then, iptables rules for mapping requests:
  (to:67 via eth0.2) -> (to:672)
  (to:67 via eth0.3) -> (to:673)
  (to:67 via eth0.4) -> (to:674)
  (to:67 via eth0.5) -> (to:675)

And replies:
  (from:672) -> (via eth0.2 from:67)
  (from:673) -> (via eth0.3 from:67)
  (from:674) -> (via eth0.4 from:67)
  (from:675) -> (via eth0.5 from:67)

I'm not an expert on iptables but I *think* it can do this.  Is there
something about dhcpd's low level access that would prevent it?