Different NTP options on peers

Stier, Matthew Matthew.Stier at us.fujitsu.com
Tue Feb 16 16:15:36 UTC 2016

No need.  The NTP client will query all available NTP services and choose one to follow.  This query/choose continues as long as the client is running, so it knows it is getting the best time source available.  As the time service stabilize, the NTP client will slowly increase the time period between queries, to reduce the load on the NTP servers.  If there is a disruption, the client will simply reset to a short time period, and when thing settle down again, it will again, slowly increase the time period between queries.

Run ‘ntpq –p’ on your NTP client.  The ‘poll’ column is the time period between polling (On my systems, it is 1024 seconds).  The ‘when’ column is the number of seconds since the last poll of the system in the ‘remote’ column.  The asterisk in the first column, signifies the selected server.  A plus signifies a selected server.  A minus signifies a discarded server (good, but outside the balance of the selected servers) and a space signifies a system discarded for high stratum level.