Frustrated DHCP failover not working.. :(

Rob Morin rmorin at datavalet.com
Wed Feb 10 17:48:22 UTC 2016

Hey  Niall, thanks fro your prompt reply... :)

Your suggestion is interesting, however currently our controllers only
point to dhcp-2 server and not to both, so making dhcp-1 primary before
we modify the controllers to go to both machines, would not work.

Pretty much what i was trying to do is to keep dhcp-2 server secondary,
and sync it up with dhcp-1, even though dhcp-1 is not giving out any
leases, because no traffic goes to it currently, as all traffic goes to
dhcp-2 only.

Downtime must be kept to a min as we normally have 10'000s of request at
any given time to these dhcp servers. Thats why i wanted to keep djcp-2
secondary and dhcp-1 primary as no requests go to dhcp-1 now, once
dhcp-1 looks like its communicating with dhcp-2 ok, then we would direct
some controllers to send requests to both servers rather than just the
one, dhcp-2

I am still thinking that maybe what i did last night actually worked,
and maybe i just did not wait long enough fro dhcp-1 to come out of
recovery=wait because the mclt time was 30 mins.

I was also thinking to simply shut down dhcpd on both servers, delete
the dhcpd.leases files on both servers, then start up dhcp-2, then
dhcp-1 and hopefully they would be in sync faster? Or even maybe
decrease the mclt time from 30 mins to 5 mins? not sure what that would
do? Our leases times are 20 minutes. and at 3AM est, not many people
should care if they loose their IP for 20 mins, i hope...

:)

Comments/suggestions?

Rob Morin
Montreal, Canada