Assign IP Range to specific AP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 15:36:12 UTC 2016

Ashley M. Kirchner <kirash4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately we have neither a managed switch, a spare router port, nor the ability to use VLANs on the current equipment.

That is something of a limitation !

> While the individual APs themselves are capable of being configured to use a VLAN id, the "router" as it is, is simply a multi-homed machine, not a managed switch. And while I can probably add another NIC to it, I was hoping not to have to do that. So it seems, from what you are suggesting, that my only options are to either:
> a) add another NIC to the current multi-homed machine and configure that as the guest network with a completely different subnet, or
> b) get a managed switch with VLAN capabilities (not likely to happen), or alternatively
> c) say screw it, and deal with the limitations I'm facing and face the consequences ... heh.

That about sums it up !

But don't dismiss the managed switch - we're not talking big money here. There are many small switches which will do the job - eg Netgear GS110TP is one I've used, and also does PoE which is handy for APs :-) I think the GS108PE is now cheaper. Other manufacturers (TP-Link, D-Link, Linksys, ...) also do some small "budget" switches.
Then, depending on the capabilities of your "router", convert the current inside port to a VLAN trunked port and it can run multiple virtual LANs on the one NIC.