dhcpd -6 dont start

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:20:11 UTC 2016

On 5 Apr 2016, at 09:05, "Kari, Vitali" <Vitali.Kari at komnexx.de> wrote:

> All my clients will be behind a relay agent, so it is theoretically not needed to put a Link-Local address in scope of subnet.
> But it seems that the dhcp daemon do not start without that.
>
> That is what I want:
> [DHCPv6]-----(fe80::/64 + 2001:db8::15/64)--------[DHCP Relay]------(2a03:4920:100::/44)----[Clients]

Is that 2001:db8::15 the address of the server ? The server probably needs a prefix defining that includes that, assuming it's working in a similar fashion to DHCPv4.

Thus, as I read the man pages (learning as I go !), you probably need an empty subnet6 declaration :
subnet6 2001:db8::/64 {
}

The reason it's needed is that the server does not know that there aren't any locally connected clients. Therefore the assumption must be that a client could appear locally to eth2, and the server must know how to handle that client. Hence the need for the subnet6 declaration. That declaration can be empty since you (as the admin) know there won't be any local clients.