Removing incorrect ddns info from lease

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Wed Nov 18 16:25:44 UTC 2015

Frank,

Why do you think that removing the DHCID data from the lease will fix a DDNS issue? Have you diagnosed the issue? For example, are there multiple devices on the network with the same name?

If you're trying to overcome DHCP's DDNS optimization routine, you just need to set a global setting in dhcpd.conf. As I recall, the syntax is:

update-optimization false;

The DHCID record that goes alongside the A record in the DDNS updates for a lease is intended to uniquely identify the host that owns that name, by either cid or MAC address. It also indicates that the name is managed by DHCP. You do not want to remove the DHCID data from the lease.

Regards,
Chris Buxton

Sent from my iPhone