dynamic dns tables, missing "IN"

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Thu Mar 26 23:07:23 UTC 2015

On Mar 26, 2015, at 10:46 AM, Cuttler, Brian (HEALTH) <brian.cuttler at health.ny.gov> wrote:
> When last we met... I'd just discovered/realized that in a 10.57.36/22 network you also had to create 3 additional PTR tables for dhcpd to tell named to update. Confirmation and Q&A were greatly appreciated.
>
> This is working fine, was working fine?
>
> Oddly, I'm finding that my current Forward tables is miswritten.
>
> The SOA looks ok, but the records look like this.
>
> Namename  A   ip.number.octet.here
>          Txt machine fingerprint
>
> The "IN" Internet record flag is missing, queries to the server are failing.

I suspect you are misdiagnosing a different problem. The "IN" is optional — it is the default value for the class field. For dynamic zones, the BIND name server (for example) does not include this field for zones of class Internet.

What problems are you specifically seeing? Are the DDNS updates from DHCP making it into the zone? (Remember to wait 15 minutes after an update, or use the equivalent of 'rndc sync your-zone-name-here' to force it to write out a fresh copy of the zone immediately.)

It might be helpful to demonstrate the problem you're seeing using the output of a 'dig' query.

Chris