dhcpd - 4.1-ESV-R3

Rajeev Bansal rajeev.bansal at innobox.com
Sat Mar 14 16:01:02 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

  I am using the dhcpd - 4.1-ESV-R3 in one of my embedded device, this
device assigns an IP lease for a short duration ( Just 5 seconds). I have
noticed the Linux clients works fine and keeps getting their dhcp lease
renew every 2 seconds. However some Windows 7 laptops doesn't acquire the
IP address correctly provided by the dhcp server, as a result of this,
whenever they have to renew the dhcp lease, they send the DHCP lease packet
with 0.0.0.0 IP, instead of assigned IP address also at that time I am not
able to ping the host to the device. This behavior is seen only on some
Windows 7 clients, others works perfectly fine. So I am curious to know if
there is some configuration change requires in my dhcpd.conf which can help
the misbehaving Windows client.

My dhcpd configuration  :

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

    authoritative;
    range 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.102;
    default-lease-time 5;
    max-lease-time 5;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    option ip-forwarding off;

  option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
  option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

}

A quick answer will be really helpful.

Thanks,
-Rajeev