Storing leases in LDAP

Ben Humpert ben at an3k.de
Tue Mar 10 18:56:44 UTC 2015

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:50:25AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Ben Humpert <ben at an3k.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Is any version capable of maintaining the list of DHCP leases in
>> > LDAP instead of the dhcpd.leases file?
>>
>> I suspect the answer is going to be no, and no it's not likely to
>> happen.
>
> The main reason this is so: ISC DHCP is slated to be replaced by the
> new ISC Kea project,
>
> http://kea.isc.org/wiki
>
> We're unlikely to see any major new features here.  But I would
> encourage the interested posters here to check out Kea and ask on
> Kea's mailing list.  Things are not yet set in stone, but Kea's
> presently in beta and reasonably functional.

Based on http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d7/dc5/configBackend.html
ISC is not taking care about LDAP at all and KEA doesn't support LDAP
right now. I also don't see any reason why I should learn, install and
configure a new DHCP server when there is already one which works very
well.

I really would like to know why KEA was started. If there is a problem
/ bad programing in ISCs DHCP why not upgrading that one? Maybe it's
more work but definitely less work than starting from scratch -
especially if you don't go new ways like implementing LDAP / DB
support from scratch.