DHCP failover setup different IP offering with 2 helper address

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Jun 28 13:01:37 UTC 2015

Hi Alp

There's a rather long section in the dhcpd.conf man page. Scroll down to
the section "DHCP FAILOVER" and follow from there.

It's quite normal for the dhcp servers to offer different IP addresses.
The pool balancing splits the free IP addresses between the two servers,
so they offer an IP out of their portion of the free addresses. Unless
they've already seen that client before in which case they will offer a
previous address.

The dhcp clients should be able to cope with multiple offers, and will
select a suitable one, often the first received.

Make sure the dhcp servers have their time synchronised, most easily done
by running ntp.

regards,
-glenn