request for advice / building dhcpd infraestructure

Leandro ingrogger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:08:40 UTC 2015

Dear Simon and Dave , thank for your responses.
I agree with your concept of begin with routing but some questions came
to my mind:
Lets supose I declare the network 1.1.1.0/24 behind the relay agent
interface witch ip is 1.1.1.1.
Every dhcp requests from this relay will carry the  GI-Adrr = 1.1.1.1/
24 so dhcpd will know from witch range should provide ip.
After I run out of those ips, I can do two thinks:
a)change the network mask from /24 to /23.
b)Add a second /24 subnet behind the relay , for example 1.1.2.0/24 and
set a second gateway ip 1.1.2.1/24.

option a) is not good since the broadcast domain at /23 could bring many
collisions. (its just my opinion).
option b) Could work but, how does relay agent knows witch ip to use for
GI-Adrr ?
Can relay agent send both or more than one ips, on the GI-Addr field so
dhcpd can figure out from witch range can serve the ip ?

Thanks for your comments.
Leandro.