DHCPv6 and DDNS

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Fri Jun 19 00:48:29 UTC 2015

On 06/18/2015 01:38 PM, Nicolas C. wrote:

> Hello Philippe,
>
> Maybe the problem isn't on the servers sides. Keep in mind that, in
> order to work, the CLIENT has to use the same identifier for DHCPv4 and
> DHCPv6 transactions (RFC 4361).

Ok! But I do not want the clients to update DNS. I want DHCP to take
care of that.

> That means that the client must run a recent version of ISC-DHCP and the
> DHCPv6 and DHCPv4 should be configured to both use the DUID has identifier.

Debian uses by default ISC's DHCP client. In this case version 4.3.1.
That should be recent enough I think. Since I did nothing on the client
side, and since my test clients are getting their addresses, static and
dynamic, correctly assigned, I presume the clients are not the problem.

> This is not a problem for the DHCPv6 client but using the DUID instead
> of the client-identifier on DHCPv4 may require some tweaking on the
> client OS.
>
> If you understand French, I wrote an article and did a presentation on
> this topic :
>
> https://conf-ng.jres.org/2013/planning.html#article_27

I took a quick look (I'm rushed! Got to take a plane tomorrow!). Anyway,
it seems to me that you had to make up a solution and you did not use
whatever built-in facility there is in the DHCP server.

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>