DHCP Relay agent not forwarding messages to the client

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Jun 16 19:48:47 UTC 2015

On 6/16/15 12:42 PM, dave c wrote:
> Referencing the RFCs that were posted earlier... what we are seeing here
> is how it's supposed to work. When the dhcp relay system doesn't opt to
> choose which server to relay requests to.

I think there is some confusion in this thread. If you're running
failover it's correct that the IP helpers on the network gear need to
send all of the DHCP packets to both servers.

Both servers will see the majority of the traffic, but what should be
true is that only *one* server will actually send the DHCPACK. You
should be able to see that in the logs, and verify it in the leases file
on both servers.

If you are seeing a situation where both servers are handing out ACKs
then it's almost certain that they are not operating in "normal" state.

hope this helps,

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not