DHCP Relay agent not forwarding messages to the client

Gero Palacio gero.palacio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:18:09 UTC 2015

Hi There.

What I find odd is that according to section 5.3 of this document  IETF
Internet Draft - DHCP Failover Protocol
<https://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-12.pdf> *only one* of
the servers should respond to the DHCP offer. The other should discard it.

I have tested this behavior with 2 computers connected on the same subnet
as the DHCP servers (so no relay agent involved) and it works as described.
Both servers receives the offer but only one of them responds with an
offer. This is also back up by RFC 3074 DHC Load Balancing Algorithm
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3074>:

*Section 4: *
The proposal maps the STID into a hash value using the function in section
6.  The resulting hash value can then be used to decide who
should respond to the request, or who the forwarding target should be.

So I don't why it's behaving the way it does when there's a relay agent
involved.

Thanks all for your help!
- Gerónimo.