forget leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 12:36:19 UTC 2015

> The
> problem is now that I always have to nmap the /24 in order to find the
> hosts that populate this network. And as I use clusterssh to manage
> these hosts, each time I need to find out the correct command as
> dhcpd reassigns the ip that it once assigned in the past ;-)

A few things that come to mind :

- Write a script that tail the log (or uses on-commit) and shows the IP address and what it's been assigned to on a console screen.

- Write (or adapt) a script that parses the leases file and tells you what's using what address that you can run as required.

- Write a script that tails the log (or uses on-cmmit) to detect expired leases - and use OMAPI to delete the lease, or do a stop-blast-start sequence to clear the leases file completely.

- Barcode (if it's not already) the MAC address on each bit of gear. Have a scanner that'll read the barcode and assign a fixed address (or let you pick one) before quickly re-configuring the DHCP server.

- Hack the code. Remove the code that does all the "least recently used" stuff, and simply pick the first address that's not currently in use.

Simon Hobson