PD broken in v4.3.2? prefix6 start prefix is outside the subnet

Chris Buechler cmb at pfsense.org
Thu Jul 16 04:19:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Jim Pingle <lists at pingle.org> wrote:

> There is also a related check of the prefix size against the subnet
> ("network mask smaller than subnet mask"), which becomes irrelevant with
> the other check removed. Since the prefix is unrelated to the subnet, it
> does not matter if the mask is smaller. It's quite common to delegate
> /60 chunks to clients even when the "LAN" (in the above example) is /64.

Yes, that check is invalid as well.

In pfSense, we patched our dhcpd (4.2.8) to remove those two checks,
and PD is back to working correctly, as it did previously. There are
many configurations where it's impractical at best to meet this
validation. Agree with Christian earlier in the thread, and Jim, this
is broken.