PD broken in v4.3.2? prefix6 start prefix is outside the subnet

Chris Buechler cmb at pfsense.org
Wed Jul 15 17:23:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Christian Kratzer <ck-lists at cksoft.de> wrote:

> a couple of quick points on this:
>
> 1. this would require one to enlargeng the access network to emcompass
> the whole pool of prefixes one wishes to delegate. This would definetely
> be considered a broken design.

Yes, especially considering there's no reason the PD subnet needs to
be even close to the interface's subnet. As things stand now after
that change, in some circumstances you'd need a subnet6 2000::/3 or
close to it for PD to work.

> 2. Just having the network large enough would still only route towards
> the net.  This would not help with getting the ultimate next hop for the
> assigned prefix resolved.
>
> 3. ipv6 relay agents on routers that support PD sniff the traffic and
> transparently add the route to the delegated prefix to the correct next hop.
>
> Such a change would definetely be broken and would have to be backed out.

Yes, agree.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Shawn Routhier <sar at isc.org> wrote:

> However I do think you are confused about the configuration file
> showing class support from the KB article.  I have tried the three
> configuration files in that kb article and all of them seem to work
> correctly for me with the prefixes being within the subnet.

Correct, the issue is where they're outside the subnet, sorry I wasn't
clear on that part.