moving subnet to another server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 15:26:18 UTC 2015

Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:

> Be sure that both DHCP servers are set "not authoritative;" for this subnet.  If they are set to "authoritative;" then they will tell the client that there is no IP available.

I'm not sure about that.
From memory ...
It needs to be authoritative so that it will nack a request for an invalid IP - ie one that's not a valid address for the network. But that's not sufficient for it to just ignore requests for addresses which are valid for the subnet but not within a range configured on the server.

Pretty sure I've been caught by that when removing/reducing a range. Unless a range is present with appropriate deny statements, the server just ignores the requests.