DHCP Datasheet

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 13:32:18 UTC 2015

Vikas Jadhav <vikas898 at gmail.com> wrote:

> *) Any alarm can generate after 80% pool utilization

No, but I believe there are some third party scripts around that will give you reports of what's in use. I've not used any of them for *some years* so I don't know what the current state of play is.

> *) dhcpd application support upto how much TPS
> *) How max IP pool ranges can able to add

Both of those are "how long is a piece of string" questions. The program itself doesn't impose any artificial limits - so any limitations are really down to the resources available. Taking those two questions in turn :

TPS is really determined by the ability to process a lease quickly. Several things will affect that - DNS updates will slow it down, as will synchronous logging, as will a slow disk, as will failover (generally). Run a single server, disable DNS updates, set logging to asynchronous, and put your leases on a massive (battery backed) ram disk and it'll run a lot faster than if you run a failover pair with DNS updates, synchronous logging, and storing the leases on the same spinning disk as your log file.

When it comes to ranges, or I assume you mean how many addresses, then that's largely driven by memory. If you have enough memory to hold the in-memory leases table and all the hashes etc then you can have large numbers of IPs. I vaguely recall mention here of people running with 6-digit IP counts (ie hundreds of thousands of addresses) - but with suitable hardware to drive it.