AW: Serving DHCPv6 requests from an IPv4 network - possible?

David Jennings dave.jennings at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 5 23:51:30 UTC 2014

Hi Harald. I think I've got the answer from Steven but just to clarify
the question...

The client will be dual-stack: IPv4 and IPv6. It will be a router behind
which is a dual-stack client network. The DHCP server is currently in an
IPv4-only network. The simplest solution, for initial tests, is to run a
DHCPv6 server process on the existing machine, and have the router make
a DHCPv6 request to the IPv4 address of the DHCP server. I couldn't
think of any fundamental reason why that wouldn't be possible but it
appears to be out of the configuration possibilities of the ISC DHCP
server, as Steven has confirmed.

So we will probably bite the bullet and set up the DHCP server as
dual-stack also.

Thanks,

David.